I cannot complain about breastfeeding. That was one of my biggest prayers near the end of my pregnancy. The Lord has really blessed Larkin and I in this area. The first week or so it was painful but nothing that a few breastshields and cream couldn't fix. It's such a miracle really how God created us to produce milk and babies know what to do from the moment they are put on our chests the first time.
Some of the sweetest moments with Larkin have been while he was breastfeeding and smiled up at me, completely content with not a care in the world or during night feedings when I pray over him and we share that time together. I know it is not easy for everyone and it can be a sensitive subject with some so I am just thankful to the Lord that this is an area of motherhood that has come without too many hiccups.
I say without too many hiccups because there have been a few, from spilled milk to more embarrassing ones. Two most recently have had my face turning all shades of red. The first happened in the Nordstroms' ladies lounge which I spoke highly of in a previous post. What I did not elaborate on in said post was one of my first experiences nursing there....
It was my first time using the "hooter hiders" and I was so proud of myself as Larkin finished up. I had an air of confidence, congratulating myself at using the new apron while not coming across as a “flustered new mom”. As other women entered the lounge to begin nursing I finished fastening my bra and with head held high, flashed a confident smile there way. Seeing humored looks on their faces I looked down and realized a breast pad had slipped out onto the floor and a pancake sized milk stain covered the entire left side of my shirt. Good job, Elizabeth.... oh so embarrassing.
The next hiccup tops the charts as far as hiccups go. In the hopes of cheering relatives I send out pics of Larkin throughout the week… A few days ago I took some sweet close up shots with my camera phone of Larkin’s face after nursing, just resting his sweet head on my chest. I suppose I wasn't paying attention well because after reviewing them a while later I immediately erased a couple when I realized in addition to my sweet son, the pic revealed one of “the ladies” as well… I was even more horrified when I realized I had just sent one of these to my mother in law … (Sorry Mimi)- I had to call and explain to her I just inadvertently emailed her a picture of my breast- "Please do not forward that pic!"
Oh goodness.... I'm sure there will be more but some things are too funny to not laugh at and share publicly via blog (I figure only a few girlfriends read this anyway!) Off to nurse my little man!

No comments:
Post a Comment