Dear Larkin,
Today is your 3 week birthday! Congrats- you made it with two incredibly ignorant newbie-parents... we are so proud of you! Some benchmarks and things we've learned that you like/don't like:
You love when we talk about Piper, you often smile when we bring her up and she loves to watch you especially on your playmat. She has been wonderful with you, like a protective mommy!

You love bathtime and have peed on mommy 4 times now during baths- you get so relaxed!
You have the MOST ADORABLE smile I've ever seen... it's big and wide and shows off those gums. I haven't caught it on camera yet, but you usually flash it in the morning or when you're cozy- it makes my day each time I see it.
Your bellybutton is off- yay! No more alcohol swabs!
The first two weeks you ate at every 3 hour interval on the dot- you would wake up from your nap hungry. This past week you won't wait so long, maybe you are growing? While the first two weeks nighttimes were difficult, the past 4 nights have been much better! You have gone a four hour stretch between meals, then a 3 hour then a 2 each night you have been consistent!
I am so proud of you as there have been a few times now when I lay you back down to sleep and although you fuss a little, you calm yourself down and go back to sleep all by yourself! Yay Larkin! I watch through the monitor and want to go in there and give you a big fat kiss, my heart is just bursting with pride, but of course that would wake you up so I restrain myself.
We have a system going now where daddy takes you after the evening feeding so mommy can get in a little nap. Then I wake up to feed you for your "dream feeding" and daddy swaddles you and puts you to bed while I go back to sleep. Throughout the night I wake up and take care of you when you decide you're hungry.
You don't really like to take a pacifier although once you get the hang of sucking on it each time, you like it. Today was your first bottle attempt. You took it like a champ, but then mommy had to get up and once we sat back down to finish the bottle, you would have none of it (my fault I suppose) we will try again tomorrow.
As far as getting out, you have been to Potbelly several times and run little errands here and there. You slept through your first church sermon this last weekend (but you didn't cry!) and you've gone to visit Nana at her apartment. Tomorrow we will venture out to Coppell to visit Aunt Mindy. Daddy and I have gotten to get out too, we have gone on two dates already! Nana and Mimi took care of you. You love all your grandparents. Grandpa Latham came and brought you a cupcake on your two week birthday and he loves to shower you with gifts. Pop came over last night just to hold you. Nana and Mimi can't get enough of you, you love them so much.
These past three weeks have been the most incredible of my life. Mommy has been overwhelmed with love for you. There have been laughter and smiles and a fair share of tears of exhaustion and meltdowns just wondering, "am I doing it right?"
It is so easy to question that- Am I a good mommy? Am I doing it right? I am being challenged in my devos to take my worries to the Lord and do the best I can, realizing you are a changing little guy. I am learning there is no "system" that works for you but just a mother's heart learning and adjusting as you change too. We are growing together buddy, but PLEASE don't grow up too fast! My friend, Catherine reminded me today- although it's easy to be sad and not want you to grow up, each season is wonderful and we have so much to look forward to as well! So I will enjoy this next week with you and all the snuggles and smiles you give me.

Happy 3 week!
love~ mommy
Today is your 3 week birthday! Congrats- you made it with two incredibly ignorant newbie-parents... we are so proud of you! Some benchmarks and things we've learned that you like/don't like:
You love when we talk about Piper, you often smile when we bring her up and she loves to watch you especially on your playmat. She has been wonderful with you, like a protective mommy!

You love bathtime and have peed on mommy 4 times now during baths- you get so relaxed!
You have the MOST ADORABLE smile I've ever seen... it's big and wide and shows off those gums. I haven't caught it on camera yet, but you usually flash it in the morning or when you're cozy- it makes my day each time I see it.
Your bellybutton is off- yay! No more alcohol swabs!
The first two weeks you ate at every 3 hour interval on the dot- you would wake up from your nap hungry. This past week you won't wait so long, maybe you are growing? While the first two weeks nighttimes were difficult, the past 4 nights have been much better! You have gone a four hour stretch between meals, then a 3 hour then a 2 each night you have been consistent!
I am so proud of you as there have been a few times now when I lay you back down to sleep and although you fuss a little, you calm yourself down and go back to sleep all by yourself! Yay Larkin! I watch through the monitor and want to go in there and give you a big fat kiss, my heart is just bursting with pride, but of course that would wake you up so I restrain myself.
We have a system going now where daddy takes you after the evening feeding so mommy can get in a little nap. Then I wake up to feed you for your "dream feeding" and daddy swaddles you and puts you to bed while I go back to sleep. Throughout the night I wake up and take care of you when you decide you're hungry.
You don't really like to take a pacifier although once you get the hang of sucking on it each time, you like it. Today was your first bottle attempt. You took it like a champ, but then mommy had to get up and once we sat back down to finish the bottle, you would have none of it (my fault I suppose) we will try again tomorrow.
As far as getting out, you have been to Potbelly several times and run little errands here and there. You slept through your first church sermon this last weekend (but you didn't cry!) and you've gone to visit Nana at her apartment. Tomorrow we will venture out to Coppell to visit Aunt Mindy. Daddy and I have gotten to get out too, we have gone on two dates already! Nana and Mimi took care of you. You love all your grandparents. Grandpa Latham came and brought you a cupcake on your two week birthday and he loves to shower you with gifts. Pop came over last night just to hold you. Nana and Mimi can't get enough of you, you love them so much.
These past three weeks have been the most incredible of my life. Mommy has been overwhelmed with love for you. There have been laughter and smiles and a fair share of tears of exhaustion and meltdowns just wondering, "am I doing it right?"
It is so easy to question that- Am I a good mommy? Am I doing it right? I am being challenged in my devos to take my worries to the Lord and do the best I can, realizing you are a changing little guy. I am learning there is no "system" that works for you but just a mother's heart learning and adjusting as you change too. We are growing together buddy, but PLEASE don't grow up too fast! My friend, Catherine reminded me today- although it's easy to be sad and not want you to grow up, each season is wonderful and we have so much to look forward to as well! So I will enjoy this next week with you and all the snuggles and smiles you give me.

Happy 3 week!
love~ mommy

Can't wait for your visit tomorrow, little man!! Your mommy will have to keep an eye on me so I don't squeeze you too much! :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteJordan and Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteI want to say to both of you that I love you and you are doing a great job with baby Larkin. He has grown and shown his happiness and joy in your arms. The other night I was amazed at watching the bond between Larkin and his dad the minute Jordan put him in his arms. Larkin wanted so much to talk to his dad and tried to utter sounds. His eye contact was fierce, his mouth was open, yet no sound came out. Still it was a wonderful sight to behold.